Friday 22 June 2018

The problems following a titanium dental implant

Over the course of this year I have been having a dental implant installed. When I look back over my medical diary, I can see that about 3 days after every part of the procedure I've started to feel generally unwell - like flu without the fever. It seems to last about 4 weeks then pass off.
The problems following a titanium dental implant


On 26 September I had the final part of the procedure, the permanent crown. Since then I've been feeling especially rubbish. To the extent that I'm only really functioning with the help of steroids (15mg/day seems to be the minimum required) and paracetamol. No fever, so not an infection.

I learn that there can be serious allergic issues with titanium (despite what dentists say), and particularly in autoimmune patients (oh goodee!). Which could be what's going on here and if so, that'll be a right pain in the whatsit as I guess the only solution would be to remove the implant and insert a bridge instead. No doubt at my (very great) expense.

BUT - is it that? In April this year I had the temporary crown replaced - with anaesthetic, but involving no new materials in my mouth (that I'm aware of) and had a similar, if milder, reaction then. Also, when I had the titanium dental implant surgically inserted, again I only had a milder version of my current symptoms. The final part of the procedure on 26/9 didn't involve anaesthetic or surgery or, again as far as I'm aware, any new materials in my mouth, yet I'm feeling much worse this time.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? And did they resolve in time or did you have to take more drastic action?

No comments:

Post a Comment